Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Honoring Septima Clark

During this Black History Month I was deeply honored to be inducted into the South Carolina Hall of Fame at the same time as Mrs. Septima Clark -- the woman Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. called the “Mother of the Movement.” Readers familiar with Brian Lanker’s marvelous book I Dream a World: Portraits of Black Women Who Changed America will recognize Mrs. Clark as the proud, strong, and beautiful woman with silver braids whose portrait graces the front cover. Brian captured her indomitable spirit a few weeks before her death in 1987 at age 89 and called me with excitement saying he knew after a very few moments and a few shots that he had found his cover. Throughout much of her long life Mrs. Clark was often at odds with South Carolina leaders and made other enemies as she traveled throughout the Deep South pioneering literacy and citizenship education for Black Americans. Yet her richly deserved Hall of Fame induction symbolizes just how far South Carolina and the nation have come -- in part thanks to the work of citizen heroines like Mrs. Clark.
Mrs. Clark was born in Charleston in 1898, the second of eight children born to a former slave father and laundrywoman mother. She graduated from Avery Normal Institute in 1916 with a teaching certificate, but because the city of Charleston would not hire Black teachers, she found a job in a rural community on Johns Island, South Carolina. The White teacher in that community had only three White students but was paid $85 a month, while the Black school had two teachers for 132 children and the two Black teachers were paid a combined salary of $60. It was the first of many injustices throughout her long career. But as time went on she started speaking out even when others around her would not. As she put it simply years later: “They were afraid, but I wasn’t.” 
In 1919 Mrs. Clark returned to Charleston, where she volunteered for a NAACP petition effort that ultimately changed the local law prohibiting Black teachers. For the next several decades she taught primarily in Charleston and Columbia while continuing her own education in the summers -- at Columbia University in New York; at Atlanta University, where W.E.B. DuBois was one of her professors; at Benedict College, where she finally received a bachelor’s degree; and at Hampton Institute; where she earned her master’s. She fought for equalization of salaries for Black and White teachers in South Carolina. After Federal District Court Judge J. Waties Waring, following the law rather than White southern mores, ordered equal pay for teachers and also ruled that Black citizens must be permitted to vote in primary elections, he and his wife and Septima became friends and social pariahs in their communities. But after forty years her career as a South Carolina public school teacher came to an abrupt halt in 1956 when the state legislature ruled that state employees could not belong to the NAACP. Mrs. Clark refused to resign or lie about her membership, and was dismissed.
Mrs. Clark signed her name to a letter to 726 other Black teachers asking them to protest the law, but only 11 of them agreed to attend a meeting with her and the superintendent, and on the day of the meeting only four showed up. She later said that effort was the big failure of her life, and she believed it failed because she tried to push the other teachers into something they weren’t ready for. The lesson she learned was that people needed to be trained first so that they would be prepared to act -- and the trainings she went on to develop helped shape the course of the civil rights movement.
Mrs. Clark had already attended several meetings at the Highlander Folk School in Tennessee, the legendary grassroots education center devoted to social justice. In the summer of 1955 she led a workshop at Highlander on developing leadership whose participants included a shy, quiet NAACP member from Montgomery, Alabama, Mrs. Rosa Parks. After Mrs. Clark was fired from her teaching job in 1956, Highlander’s extraordinary director, Myles Horton, invited her to be Highlander’s full-time director of workshops, where she pioneered innovative programs that combined literacy education for adults with citizenship and voter education. When the state of Tennessee forced Highlander to close in 1961 Mrs. Clark continued the same work as director of education and teaching for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC)’s new Citizen Education Program. Her workshops formed the basis for the Citizenship School movement she helped establish across the South.
In addition to teaching basic reading skills using familiar materials like the Sears catalog and covering practical topics like how to write checks, these “schools” taught basic civics and citizenship rights and focused on the arcane voting requirements specific to each local community that were being used to disenfranchise Black voters. Classes met on evenings and weekends in churches, store backrooms, and other available spaces. Lessons were written on dry-cleaning bags in place of blackboards. They relied on training local citizens to teach other community members; Fannie Lou Hamer was among the local leaders who volunteered. Mrs. Clark eventually helped establish and recruit and train teachers for hundreds of Citizenship Schools: “They were in people’s kitchens, in beauty parlors, and under trees in the summertime. I went all over the South, sometimes visiting three Citizenship Schools in one day…One time I heard Andy Young say that the Citizenship Schools were the base on which the whole civil rights movement was built. And that’s probably very much true.” Rosa Parks also said that while she may have sat down once, Mrs. Clark kept on working and building: “I am always very respectful and very much in awe of the presence of Septima Clark because her life story makes the effort that I have made very minute. I only hope that there is a possible chance that some of her great courage and dignity and wisdom has rubbed off on me.”
As a woman in the movement, Mrs. Clark said she felt the men around her often did not do a good job of listening to or including her or other women. Yet she observed that it was largely women who got things done: “In stories about the civil rights movement you hear mostly about the black ministers. But if you talk to the women who were there, you’ll hear another story. I think the civil rights movement would never have taken off if some women hadn’t started to speak up.” Even later in life Mrs. Clark was never hesitant to speak up. One of the injustices after her 1956 firing was that South Carolina refused to pay the pension she had earned for her forty years of teaching or the pay she would have earned in the few years before her retirement if she had not been dismissed. She did not give up on waiting for those wrongs to be righted, and in 1976 the governor reinstated her pension and in 1981 the legislature approved paying her back pay.
Although her signature accomplishment may be the programs she established for Black adults, she never lost her original and enduring passion for educating children. She celebrated her 78th birthday by becoming the first Black woman elected to the Charleston School Board. Near the end of her life she said:
“Education is my big priority right now. I want people to see children as human beings and not to think of the money that it costs nor to think of the amount of time that it will take, but to think of the lives that can be developed into Americans who will redeem the soul of America and will really make America a great country.”
Let’s honor Septima Clark’s legacy right now by making this priority our own with urgency and perseverance.

13 comments:

  1. I once heard of Septima Clark but I never heard her story. This snapshot iof her life was interesting. She reminds me of women like Ella Baker, Marian Wright Edelman, and Fannie Lou Hamer. They understood their power and confident in their voice towards change. Septima drive and passion resonates with mines. Often times we get ahead of ourselves and push others to see the struggle and make a difference but many are not ready. There is so much power in her realization that folks needed to be trained before they could act. I am taking heed to her lesson learned. Recently I have been thinking about the movement here in Los Angeles. It seems like every summer we are on fire but after August the fires tends to die out. I would like take her method is train college students throughout the year to organized a sustainable movement around education and social justice. Septima Clark is my new inspiration along with Ella Baker.

    When you think about freedom schools this is the same model that has strengthen a culture of young people, transformed communities, and sustains an effective movement. I am glad Mrs. Edelman shared this history with us. I hear you and I will act.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quote “Education is my big priority right now. I want people to see children as human beings and not to think of the money that it costs nor to think of the amount of time that it will take, but to think of the lives that can be developed into Americans who will redeem the soul of America and will really make America a great country.”

    I often times tell myself "I cannot have kids!!! They cost too much money and I have to raise them forever!" However, if my kids have the opportunity to participate in the events, movements, education that I have they will be UNSTOPPABLE!! ooowwwwee this just got me excited!! I might go make some BABIES!! "I can make a difference and make a family!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evetty,

      I love this post. I have a 2-year-old niece and I utilize her as my burt control. At this point in my life, having children is not even an option. Additionally, I will admit that I am scared to bring children in this world due to so much violence and other things, then i reflect on your statement and realize that it can only go up from here.

      Delete
    2. Wow Evetty. Your post definitely tickled me. Mrs. Edelman stated that Septima Clark learned, " that people needed to be trained first so that they would be prepared to act..." There is no amount of training anyone can take to raise children, but exuding a spirit like Septima Clark is a start to rearing some well adjusted citizens ready to take down anything without fear. Even if you never have children, you have made an impact in so many children's lives already that I know they will make a difference.

      Delete
    3. This was my favorite part of the article too Evetty! I often think about my kids, how I would raise them, the knowledge I would instill in them, and the opportunities that they will have. Like you said, they would be unstoppable! If we had more mentors and parents who instilled SUBSTANCE and not NONSENSE into children, America would truly be a more peaceful and successful economy. This article really inspired me not only to explore the idea of parenting, but to embrace my role as a mentor to youth, both male and female.

      Delete
  3. Similar to Joy, I had heard of Septima Clark, but never really knew her full story. I went to College of Charleston in Charleston, SC, so there are places around the city named after her. I was aware that she was an educator, but not many details. The Avery Institute from which she graduated with her teaching certificate is now a museum owned by the College.

    I really admire that she fought to educate people of all ages. The Citizenship Schools shows that one is never too old to learn something new to become a better person to improve your community. I have been wanting to create a Parent Academy at my school. The more people know the better they can become. These parents would be able to improve the community and climate of our school based on the new skills they have acquired. They can show their children that learning new things and education is important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading about Septima Clark reminded me of my role as a classroom teacher. It is so easy to get caught up in the politics of education, how difficult it is to differentiate instruction, or how time consuming it can be to find relevant text your students can connect to, but as Septima Clark stated, “I want people to see children as human beings and not to think of the money that it costs nor to think of the amount of time that it will take, but to think of the lives that can be developed into Americans who will redeem the soul of America and will really make America a great country.” Our children are an investment and deserve to be our first priority. I treat my students like I treat my real children. I shower them with hugs and praise, and I challenge them to give me excellence in the classroom. I have no doubt that my “chicken nuggets” believe in their ability to be change agents. I can’t wait to see my students change the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The most interesting fact that I learned about Mrs. Clark was that when she was unjustly dismissed from her position and wrote to over 700 black teachers to support her and take a stand only 11 responded and only 4 showed up on her behalf and on behalf of all black teachers discriminated against by S.C. legislature. She did not fault the teachers for their lack of preparedness she faulted the fact that they were not trained to be ready to take action. This is a wise perspective to have. Even when others fail to support you initially if you continue with genuine efforts change will be made even if you go unnoticed for decades, the change and the impact of your dedication to service will be felt and experienced by all who are impacted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this column mainly because it's not often that I get to read about African American heroines out of Charleston. Charleston, though rich in history, doesn't really have a lot of positive stories concerning African Americans, let alone African American women.
    I read an excerpt from a book that stated Mrs. Clark would travel 8 hours a day to and from John's Island to teach. Knowing that there was, and still is, strong and determined females that come from my hometown makes me proud to say that I'm born and raised in Charleston, South Carolina.
    I first learned about Mrs. Clark in elementary school when I took a tour of the Avery Normal Institute. From there, I started noticing the highway and school that was named after her.
    "She later said that effort was the big failure of her life, and she believed it failed because she tried to push the other teachers into something they weren’t ready for. The lesson she learned was that people needed to be trained first so that they would be prepared to act -- and the trainings she went on to develop helped shape the course of the civil rights movement."
    This quote stuck out to me the most because of the fact that history has a way of repeating itself. Although what I do as an SLI and EBT isn't on as big a stage as Mrs. Clark, knowing that I'm a part of the same idea and mentality she has presents a calming presence over me.
    My shirt name is Unsung and she is one of the heroes that I'm referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I legitimately just laughed out loud at Evetty's post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "...She believed it failed because she tried to push the other teachers into something they weren't ready for. The lesson she learned was that people needed to be trained first so that they would be prepared to act-- and the training she went on to develop helped shape the course of the civil rights movement." This statement reminds me of the purpose CDF's Ella Baker Child Policy Training Institute that is held every summer for the Freedom Schools. Today's Freedom Schools has its roots in the first Freedom Schools held during the Freedom Summer of 1964 during the Civil Rights Movement. As the servant leaders of our communities, country, and world, we "must be trained first so that (we) would be prepared to act"; Act in richly educating our children, act rebuilding our broken neighborhoods and communities, act in registering our citizens to vote, act in signing up families for health care, act in providing each child with a safe start, a healthy start, a moral start, a fair start, a head start, and a successful passage to adulthood, and act to leave no child behind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OmorĂ© OkhominaMay 16, 2014 at 4:20 PM

    I agree, Jessikha. What would the Freedom Schools Movement be without National Training? In my view, it would probably be a disorganized program with varying levels of enthusiasm as you travel from region to region. Could there be an effective FS summer if National training wasn't supported by the numerous local trainings, all aimed at preparing servant leaders for the arduous task that is teaching? Septima Clark's analysis in light of her challenges is spot on. It is also one of my takeaways from the article: that if we truly hope to grow a nation of social engineers we must have the foresight to educate, empower and adequately empower each helping hand. We must in fact prepare ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The biggest thing that stood out was hearing about the women that empowered the movement at all. Septima Clark was educating black adults on literacy and voting, which is the basis of freedom schools. The citizenship schools were in actuality the first freedom schools. It is always beneficial to learn the pioneer of the pioneers. Septima Clark and the Citizenship Schools were so eying that I was told to research long ago, which I failed to do. So this was really inspiring to come across this child watch column.

    ReplyDelete