Sunday, April 20, 2014

Improving the Odds of America's Children

“. . . We see repeated efforts in Congress in recent years to take resources away from poor and middle-class children and families, like food stamps and tax credits and education funding and access to affordable health care, and give even more to the wealthy and powerful. Bipartisanship has taken a severe beating in recent years, as has the willingness of Congress to enact or support policies driven by evidence-based research that help children and families and our country as a whole.”
--Congressman George Miller, Foreword, Improving the Odds for America’s Children
  
More than 40 years ago the earliest planning for what would become the Children’s Defense Fund (CDF) took place at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. CDF began in 1973 in a Harvard University-owned clapboard house. Our beginning was bolstered by a two-volume publication of the Harvard Educational Review in 1973 and 1974 among whose top editors were CDF staff, many of them graduates of or students at Harvard’s education and law schools. Another young staff attorney, Hillary Rodham, in her first job after law school contributed an article on the “Rights of Children.” 

At the same time, CDF staff knocked on doors to look for children out of school in Massachusetts and all across America. A local group, Massachusetts Advocacy, had issued a report on Children Out of School in Boston and we wondered whether this was a statewide or national problem. After knocking on many thousands of doors in census tracts across our country, CDF documented it was a national problem with at least 2 million children out of school, including 750,000 the census said were between 7-13 years old but did not tell us who they were. We found many were children with disabilities. Other children were pushed out by discipline policies, language, and the inability to afford school fees. Children Out of School in America became our first report in 1974. We followed it up by organizing with parents at the local level and collaborating with national organizations concerned with children with mental, physical and emotional disabilities and many others to help push Congress to enact 94-142 -- now the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act -- which for the first time gave children with disabilities the right to a free, appropriate public education. CDF’s first report led to publication of School Suspensions: Are They Helping Children describing many of the practices we are still combating today with school discipline policies that suspend children for a wide range of nonviolent offenses include truancy and subjective offenses like disruptive behavior. 

After 40 years we are now blessed with a new indispensable evidence-based book from Harvard Education Press -- Improving the Odds for America’s Children: Future Directions in Policy and Practice. Dr. Kathleen McCartney, President of Smith College and former Dean of the Harvard Graduate School of Education, was the driving force behind this volume which she coedited with Hirokazu Yoshikawa and Laurie B. Forcier. It features articles from a wide range of scholars, child and family policy experts, and practitioners. Their combined expertise documents the benefits to be gained by closing the gap between what we know and what we do for children -- and we know a lot more than we did 40 years ago. Hillary Rodham Clinton, now informed and seasoned by many years of state, national and international experience, says of the book: “This important collection of ideas about how to improve the odds for America’s children should be required reading for policy makers across the country.”

Each chapter suggests a prominent pathway for moving forward to level the playing field and improve the odds for children. In their recommendations for future directions in child and family policy and practice, the contributing authors to Improving the Odds for America’s Children affirm a foundational belief that CDF has acted on for decades: children don’t come in pieces and require a continuum of comprehensive and quality support throughout their lives. The volume starts with prenatal and infant health and development, emphasizing parent and caregiver support in a child’s earliest years, moves through the school years and adolescence, and addresses the special needs of the most vulnerable youth involved with the child welfare and juvenile justice systems.

Common threads essential to sound policy and practice emerge quickly -- including the impact of poverty and inequality on children’s well-being. Unifying refrains include the need to bring multiple supports together to seek change for children and families; the need for more intensive supports for children and parents with special health and mental health needs; recognition of the harm done to children by withholding help to children and adults who are not citizens nor legally present in the U.S.; and the call to pay attention to the well-being of parents and caregivers and all those who care for children. The book reinforces the importance of never giving up on a child.

This second decade of the twenty-first century is a crucial one for the children’s movement and the nation’s future, as poverty and child poverty have resurged in a prolonged recession and jobless “recovery,” and with wealth and income inequality at near record levels and achievement gaps among children who are poor and of color unacceptably wide. Our children, are in trouble and our nation is in trouble, and we must reset our moral and economic compasses. CDF has been sounding the siren with urgency and persistence over four decades and will not stop until it is heard.   

In our fifth decade, CDF is committed to implementing the comprehensive policy vision in this fine book and building the critical mass of servant leaders and transforming voices needed to build and sustain the political will to do for all children what we know works. We must band together across all racial and income groups and be clear that we cannot wait any longer to ensure our children’s healthy development and well-being. It is the right thing to do, it is the cost effective thing to do, and we can start right now by putting into place a comprehensive early childhood development system, including a continuum of care from birth through age five. Children have only one childhood, and it is now. We know what to do. We know what works. We must make it happen now by working together. Improving the Odds for America’s Children is a blueprint for action.   

18 comments:

  1. One of the reasons I love being involved with Freedom Schools and CDF is that it makes me aware of so many things I have never heard of before but are often very relevant to my field of study! I will definitely be purchasing a copy of this book to read and study over the summer, as an educator I want to stay informed on what is happening on the policy side of education as well as the classroom side. So often people want change but don’t know how to make it happen and according to the column, this book is a “blue print for action” and I believe it will provide guidance to help well intentioned individuals who lack the knowledge of where to start.
    I learn so much about history and the people who shaped history, and the more I get involved with freedom schools the more I realize that I can be one of those people. There are still many wrongs in the world and history that needs to be shaped and CDF has empowered me to truly believe in the mission of Freedom School, I CAN make a difference not just in myself and my family, but also in my Community, my country, and my world. Freedom school and CDF are giving me the education and hope that I need to take action and make a difference. I may be an EBT and an SLI, but I am most definitely learning the same messages as the scholars. I can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very similar to what Devon stated, Freedom Schools has helped me to realize that I can make a difference and has given me the platform to do so. Prior to joining this movement, my thoughts were just that, thoughts. Like many others I had my opinions about things that should be changed but did not feel like I knew how or even would be able to change those things. This column's discussion about Improving the Odds for America's Children supports my vision to make a difference in children's lives by helping them change their life outcomes for the better as they grow and mature into adulthood. It is amazing how important socioeconomic status is in the progression of a child's life. An achievement gap could be the difference between life and death at times. I hope to one day be involved with fixing the policies that affect our children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I feel very similarly to you. Prior to joining the Freedom School movement, my thoughts were never turned into actions. I think it is so important to pro-actively work towards fixing the problems laid out before us. This is not just limited to Freedom Schools, but to all social justice issues that our country faces. I may be one person, but that's one person fighting for the cause!

      Delete
    2. I agree with Jackie and Tiffany. When I first joined the Freedom School movement I had just completed my freshman year of college and I really didn't know what I wanted to do. Never did I think that I would learn how important making a difference in a child's life would be. I truly believe that I just needed the support and a program to back me up and that is exactly what Freedom School has done for me. Being an Ella Baker Trainer has allowed me the ability to make a difference in children all over the world. I have had opportunities to serve in the program in different states because of my position as a trainer. Freedom School has opened the door for me to begin learning about these social justice issues and now I have the confidence to do something about them!

      Delete
    3. Jackie I agree too sis. Freedom Schools have changed my life. because of this movement my Why was answered and I know exactly the change I want to make and the change I want to see. I have seen myself how freedom school has shaped the lives of so many young people and how it has made me a stringer leader and servant. I now am more compassionate about social issues and understanding of them. Freedom school has opened doors for me in ways I could not have ever imagined.

      Delete
    4. I agree with Tiffany, I had many ideas but I never put anything into action. This post allows me to further out in the work that has been missing from my ideas for years! All of my ideas have been ways to help and serve the children of this country, and as Jackie state an achievement gap could could be the difference!

      Delete
  3. The statement “. . . We see repeated efforts in Congress in recent years to take resources away from poor and middle-class children and families, like food stamps and tax credits and education funding and access to affordable health care, and give even more to the wealthy and powerful” really stuck out to me. I often find myself speaking on the issue of the wealthy and powerful seem to be glorified with receiving more than those less fortunate. Why is that? As both, Devon and Jackie, has stated, prior to joining this Freedom School Movement, I was unaware of the policy piece of education, though I knew it exists. This column has given me the information and push that I need to continue to make a change in children and more specifically, their education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too was drawn to the opening quote. The level of contempt that some lawmakers seem to have for those less fortunate is quite shocking and alarming. They fail (or don't care) to see that their actions in reducing benefits, as well as their inaction in creating any kind of new programs, is truly destroying the American dream for millions of families and children. One reason I am so thankful to work for CDF is because it gives me a chance to combat these challenges at a grassroots level. I wonder how comfortable these lawmakers would be cutting benefits for children if they came to our classrooms during the summer and had conversations with our scholars. Alas, "special" interests seem to persistently out way the actual needs of American citizens. We must continue to do our best to combat apathy and inaction in our community, because as Mrs. Edelman says at the end, we must work together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree that it is almost dumbfounding that college degreed men an women with children, grandchildren and families would object to acts and policies being instated that would benefit the neediest of the needy children in America. The fact that children are needy in America is also flabbergasting and unsettling. It makes me think what are we doing that it is normal or un-alarming that children go with out food, shelter, healthcare, education an the like on a daily basis in one of the most developed countries in the world. I am glad that CDF actively fights for the welfare of ALL children across America: Black, White, Yellow, Brown, Red, Polka-dot and Rainbow colored! I look forward to the day the adults in the world begin to realize the precious commodity we, more often than not, forget.

      Delete
    2. Matt the opening quote was extremely captivating but I'm not shocked at all by lawmakers. When you don't live the lifestyle the children we work with face or you can't relate sometimes people tend to ignore things that aren't relevant to them. The reason CDF is crucial is because we fight for those families we are not as fortunate. I have been trying to figure out how can we get more people to learn about our program and advocate just like we are doing constantly.

      Delete
  5. The Children Defense Fund organization is dedicated to improving the lives and prospects of all American children. Through various programs and campaigns, the CDF has continuously advocated that children receive proper healthcare, a quality education, and familial support. The Children Defense Fund has for many years worked hard to improve the circumstances of urban and rural minorities. While being involved with Freedom School programs and the CDF, I have become aware of many of the issues and policies affecting our children and their access to a rewarding and meaningful education. As an educator it is crucial to stay informed but it is just as important to get involved in working to change and reshape the issues affecting the community of our students. A quote from the April 11 Child Watch Column echoes this sentiment, “We know what to do. We know what works. We must make it happen now by working together.” I fully believe in working to make a positive change but I also know that collaboration is the key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with this comment. I was thinking throughout reading all of these articles that we are in the perfect position as employees of the Children's Defense Fund to help improve the odds of America's children. Ideally, it would be every American citizen who would have this as a goal and priority, but realistically, the fact that we have a team of 60+ members who are willing to devote themselves so vividly to a worthy cause shows us that there is hope for our youth. With conviction and a desire to make positive change, the odds of our children will improve.

      Delete
  6. As I read this column I was reminded of my work by the foundational mission of CDF: "Children don’t come in pieces and require a continuum of comprehensive and quality support throughout their lives; prenatal and infant health and development, emphasizing parent and caregiver support in a child’s earliest years, moves through the school years and adolescence, and addresses the special needs of the most vulnerable youth involved with the child welfare and juvenile justice systems." As a field representative in the state senate I understand the importance of sound policy to help children and families. We have a real opportunity here to change the structure of local schools in the district and that takes representatives being the voice for children in all conversations so that the life of a child is also consider when making decisions that affect their start in life and successful passage into adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The need for a transformative curriculum is increasingly important for the 21st century African American student. In spite of the Brown v. Board of Education, decision, many students of color, still attend schools that are both still separate and unequal. However, I am grateful for the service of Ella Baker, Marian Wright Edelman, and the Children’s Defense fund Freedom School’s movement for provided alternatives to curriculum and pedagogy methodology that is transformative and provides culturally relevant literacy education for students of color.

    Whereas schooling within a traditional framework generally uses Eurocentric learning practices, and reinforces racial narratives. CDF Freedom Schools, designed to not only educate but also to motivate students of color to use their education as voice for activism and social change, provides our children with a positive, and productive sense of pride, culture, and gives them a voice. Thus, the Freedom School model and Children’s Defense Fund, through the incorporation of multicultural activities, social action projects, and a re-centering of the child’s experiences are greatly improving the odds of not only American’s children, but all children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like others I was struck by the opening lines of the column. Working with CDF has helped me to be more aware of policy and the ways that it effects children, the resources and education that they receive. I definitely agree with Mrs. Edelman that there is still much to be done in terms of closing the gap between what we know and research, and the things that we do for children. This job has helped me see the importance of the voter's voice in assisting with seeing that the resources given to the public accurately reflect their needs, particularly for children. Also I have see how children's voices can be powerful in changing policy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a great disparity between research and policy. As mentioned in the column, research has been showing these findings for decades, but policymakers decline to shape laws that match research solutions. This is most likely intentional. Policy is an area that needs to be a focus for everyone. I love CDF because it realizes the value in getting children involved in understanding policy at an early age, and being involved to know that their voices make a difference. I believe every child and teenager should be involved in a program that allows them to grow their understanding of the importance of how policy affects our daily lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Sharde. Working with freedom School, being a part of freedom school has made me more aware of the importance of closing the gap between generations and really expressing the importance of reading and being active. Monique Statement stuck with me as well when she expressed the importance of getting children involved in understanding policy at an early age because it helps them to be more aware of current and upcoming events going on in the world. This is good because children's voices can definitely make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In school suspension and suspensions. I getting out of hand but if I had to count the amount of kids that I openly see skip school whether high school or middle school I go crazy. And like the article also Washington DC we've knocked on doors went to the barber shops and asked these parents to enroll their kids in our program and bring them out not just because we might need some more students but we know it's our neighborhood these are our kids this is our future and we know that that neighborhood is beef below reading level. Did you read what I just wrote that neighborhood. And there are many of those "that neighborhoods" . Other kids eventually get suspended and expelled so much that they're forced to go to a private school or a special school where at times the fees get a little out of hand and children get lost.

    ReplyDelete