Friday, May 1, 2015

All in the Family

My mother was doing drugs, specifically cocaine, crack cocaine... I almost
died. They said that I was either going to be deaf or retarded or I wasn’t
going to survive past childhood or infancy because there were so many chemicals
in my system.
The odds were stacked against Britiny Lee before she was born. Her mother was addicted to drugs, like Britiny’s grandfather and many others in their poverty-stricken Cleveland neighborhood. Britiny’s mother used drugs throughout her pregnancy and went to prison for a year just after Britiny’s birth. As a poor, Black “crack baby” with an addicted, incarcerated mother and an absent father, Britiny started life in danger. Being born into an unstable poor family or to a single, teen, incarcerated, or absent parent are all known risk factors in America’s Cradle to Prison Pipeline® crisis. The disadvantages millions of poor children and children of color face from birth along the continuum to and through adulthood—which can  include no or inadequate prenatal and health care; no or little quality early childhood education and enrichment; child abuse and neglect; failing schools; grade retention, suspension, and expulsion; questionable special education placements; dropping out of school; unaddressed mental health problems; violent drug infested neighborhoods; and disproportionate involvement in the child welfare and juvenile justice systems—cumulate and converge and funnel so many poor children of color into a pipeline and trajectory that too often leads to marginalized lives, imprisonment, and premature death. Entering the child welfare system would have been still another risk factor for baby Britiny but she was lucky. 
Britiny Lee_140x170.jpg
Watch Britiny's Story
That was where Britiny’s grandmother stepped in who already had custody of Britiny’s older brother and sister. She brought Britiny home too and Britiny says, “My grandmother stepped up to the plate to raise us because she didn’t want us to go into the foster care system.” Britiny’s grandmother didn’t have a lot of money, but she was a stable source of love and support throughout childhood and Britiny flourished in her care. Despite doctors’ concerns when she was born as a drug addicted child, Britiny was resilient and became a straight-A student who loved school from the beginning. Britiny’s grandmother was her rock even while struggling with the autoimmune disease lupus, which got worse as Britiny got older. When she was 8 years old her grandmother suffered a seizure when they were home alone together and Britiny had to call 911 and ride in the ambulance with her grandmother to the hospital. 
From then on she was terrified of losing her grandmother. Britiny’s mother Felicia, who had come in and out of her life throughout her childhood, was struggling towards sobriety. Nine months after Felicia became sober, when Britiny was 10 years old, her grandmother died. Felicia remembers the moving moment: “[My mother] held my hand and she told me, ‘Licia, I want to go home.’ And I thought that she meant go home, like put her in the car and take her home. No. She was saying she was tired and she was ready to go home to Glory... She looked at me in my eyes, and she said, ‘And God told me that you were ready, that you were ready to be a mom, that you’re going to be a good mom, that you’re not going to use drugs anymore, and that I could go.’” Britiny’s mother was finally ready to step in, regain custody, and learn how to be the parent her daughter needed and deserved. Today Britiny is a high school senior about to graduate from Cleveland’s John Hay School of Science and Medicine and dreams of becoming a cardiac surgeon. She recently received a Beat the Odds® scholarship from Children’s Defense Fund-Ohio. She says of her beloved grandmother, “She’s looking down on me. I’m sure she’s proud, and right now I just want to make her even more proud. I want to show her that she didn’t fight for me for nothing.”  
Britiny’s grandmother was one of the many caregivers raising children in “kinship care” or “GrandFamilies”—headed by grandparents or other relatives who step in when parents are unable to do so. Sometimes a child is removed from parents’ care by the state and placed with relatives in foster care; in other cases, children like Britiny are placed informally with relatives outside foster care. More than 6 million children are being raised in households headed by grandparents and other relatives. Of those 6 million, 2.5 million children are living in households without their parents present. These relative caregivers like Britiny’s grandmother are willing to care for the children, but often need financial or other help to appropriately meet their children’s needs.
A number of states have used subsidized guardianship programs to support kinship families and GrandFamilies. Kinship care has been found to help children maintain family, and oftentimes community, connections. There is also strong evidence that children placed in kinship care experience greater stability, have fewer behavioral problems, and are just as safe—if not safer—than children in non-relative care. In Britiny’s case, all of these positive outcomes came to pass, and after her grandmother “stepped up to the plate” a child who could easily have become a statistic is beating the odds and is a star with a bright future.

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post. Throughout the whole article, even before I read the part about her winning a Beating the Odds scholarship, I was thinking that she is such a survivor. In the post it states, "she was a stable source of love and support throughout childhood and Britiny flourished in her care." It made me think about how often times that was children need to thrive. Children need someone who loves them, takes care of them, and has their best interest at heart. Children need to know someone wants them to succeed and do well in life, and that can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this example of beating the odds, overcoming adversity when the odds aren't stacked in your favor. It really make you as a person value family and wholeness of a family especially since I can't personally relate to the person in the story seeing that my family didn't have drug problems or a broken household. I still enjoyed the article nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need more of these stories being publicized especially since we have now entered the era in which all of the surveying "crack babies" of the 80s and 90s are now adults. They can be used to show that despite the obstacles that they faced with from conception, with the right environment and people in the environment, overcoming and thriving is possible. It also makes me wonder how much research is being done since that cohort is entering adulthood because there were many worries about what was going to happen to that group of infants throughout their schooling and into adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is truly a touching story of prevailing despite deep trenches of adversity. I’m glad the grandmother did not give up on her daughter and that the daughter did not give up in the fight to raising her child. I think if at all possible Kinship Families should be the first, second, and third options for children who for whatever reason can no longer live with or be supported by their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too enjoyed reading this successful story about Britiny. It reminded me a lot of Sharon Draper’s book Forged by Fire, about a boy who was cared for by his grandmother while his mother was incarcerated and was later returned to his mother.
    I agree with Tristan’s response noting the importance of a loving environment. During my Junior year I did a lot of research to determine how maternity leave might be impacting child development. For the most part I discovered that the biggest determining factor in a child’s wellbeing is having a consistent and responsive caregiver during the first few months of life. I am thankful that so many grandparents and relatives are able to provide this foundation for the children in their lives. Foster care is an excellent system that is extremely important, yet often it falls short of what the children need. We need to do more to help support family members who are caring for children. Like many social investments, this is one that would cost on the front end, but would save overall due to increased independence instead dependence on public programs. As a society we need to get better at being on the offense of problems instead of on the defense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was interested in reading this article as soon as I read the title. I am very family oriented and I love the idea of a family, what it means to be a family, and how family can impact ones life. She is defintely an example of BEATING THE ODDS while changing a negative statistic into a positive one. To have such strong stigmas placed on your as a newborn is hear breaking and absurd.

    Reading this story makes me think of scholars that have shared their stories with me. These past four years in Freedom School I have heard "I am sleepy because I didn't know how to make my baby brother stop crying and my mom was out with some of her friends, I couldn't come yesterday because I had to watch my sister since the baby sitter couldn't watch her, It's so many people in my house and they make so much noise and I can't sleep good." Though these stories do not reflect Britiny's, it tells the story of why our children cannot pay attention in an academic setting. It tells us how the African American culture utilizing older siblings to take on the caregiver role at an early age. It also tells us why they cannot have that perfect attendance. However, I strongly believe that it takes a village to raise a child. By village, I mean those individuals who are directly and indirectly connected to our children. Blood relatives are not the only family that one can have.


    I love this story and I am amazed at Britiny's story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really warmed my heart. In my last semester of school I took a culture, pregnancy, and birth class that opened my eyes to many things I never expected it to. One of our topics were whether or not women should be criminalized for abusing drugs while pregnant. Although I don't think it's right, it creates an even bigger problem in black communities because the only people being criminalized were women of color. This creates a larger downward spiral than our communities are already experiencing with children being forced to live without their parents, having to be raised by relatives or put into the terrible foster care system, and statistically never reaching the potential to rise above poverty.

    What I truly liked about this article was that Britiny is the epitome of a young girl of color beating the odds and proving "experts" around her wrong. The doctors thought that they knew her life span and if she did just so happen to live, they thought she'd be living with a serious disability. That young lady is truly blessed, and going above and beyond everyone's expectations. I continue to be a part of this movement because I hope to see more people like her grow and prove all of the skeptics wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This article truly hit home for me and left a deep impression on me like it did for many of us as servant leaders. Being from Cleveland and moving around the country to live with different "grand family" members while my mother gained sobriety was a story I only carried as a personal one. Reading this article really brings out the fact that we are all apart of a larger narrative of collective struggle but what's more we are also apart of the unspoken narrative of collective resistance. I can only imagine the vast impact we can have as servant leaders together implementing and pushing policy that can structurally resist the collective struggle of young brilliant folks like Britiny. Stories like ours being told really makes the difference for young people who are unaware of their story's significance to history and progress. This makes me all the more excited for the work ahead.

    ReplyDelete